Kursk Root Icon of the All-Holy Theotokos Visits St. Ignatius Mission - 10/17/2009Twin Falls, Idaho
An extensive account of the history and miracles of this grace bearing icon may be found at: http://www.holycross-hermitage.com/pages/Orthodox_Life/kursk_icon.htm. In 1920, the icon was taken into exile from Russia by Bishop Theophan of Kursk, fleeing before the advancing Red Army. Since that time, the icon has been in the custody of the Russian Orthodox Church Outside Russia (ROCOR) as one of its most precious spiritual treasures. When not traveling to Orthodox communities all around the world, the icon is kept in the Cathedral of Our Lady of the Sign, at the headquarters of ROCOR, in New York City.